Wednesday 6 February 2013

Cinque Terre

Wow Cinque Terre, where do I even begin? It is so incredibly beautiful. I'm so in love!

For those of you who don't know, Cinque Terre means five lands and as you can probably guess it is made up of five villages... Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarolo and Riomagiore. Cars are not allowed in most areas of the villages and so the best way to travel between the villages is either by train or by foot. There are foot tracks running between the five villages, many of which are along the coast so it would make for a beautiful walk for those who enjoy it. Personally seeing as I only had a day to spend in Cinque Terre, I didn't particularly want to spend the whole day walking between the villages and preferred to explore the villages in more depths so I chose the train option. If you're like me and do choose to go with the train option it is highly recommended that you get a Cinque Terre train card. For only €10 you can use the frequent trains as often as you like for a day as well as use of the local buses, access to the trail as well as entry to a few tiny museums.

My personal favourite out of the five villages was Manarolo. You get the most incredible view there and as it was the last village that I went to I was able to watch the sunset. Definitely one of the highlights of my life. I also really enjoyed Vernazza, I managed to find a gelato store that was opened (I went on a Saturday in the middle of Winter) and just sat on the rocks, watching the waves crash and a few men fishing.


Manarolo


Riomaggiore

While waiting for the train in Riomaggiore

Riomaggiore

Vernazza

There's something I find strangely beautiful about this

While waiting for the train

Vernazza

Vernazza

Vernazza

Vernazza



Corniglia

Corniglia

Corniglia

Corniglia

Manarolo

Manarolo
Don't ask me why but I love little stuff like this

Sunset in Manarolo

Manarolo


Sunset and silhouettes

Manarolo

Manarolo

More Manarolo



Picture perfect sunset



Me in Riomaggiore

GELATO!


While waiting for the train


Me in Manarolo


Manarolo as the sun is setting

Cinque Terre isn't the kind of place I would want to live in, I love my busy cities, but its definitely a great place to go to just to get away from the busyness and really just to sit down, slow down and really just appreciate and take in the beauty around you.

Til next time
Flo xx

1 comment:

  1. Hey Florence, I love your blog!! Big hi five for europe travels, and for being au pairs, BEST JOB EVER right? :D
    I'd message you on Facebook, but I'm off it for lent... I'm coming to Italy sometime in the next month or two and would love to rendez vous if you'll be around! Please flick me an email if you get the chance? artist.alison@gmail.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete