Friday 24 August 2012

My strange relationship with Hong Kong

So, as you can see its been a while since I've blogged. I've been racking my brain as to what to blog about and a thought entered my mind 'Why? Why is it so hard to figure out what to write about? Well the truth is, I haven't done much besides eat, work and shop. Why haven't I done any of the usual tourist stuff here? See the sights and so forth? I've given it some thought and realised that I have a rather strange relationship with Hong Kong.
For those of you that don't know I was born in Hong Kong and moved to New Zealand just before I turned 6. All my relatives (besides my immediate family) live in Hong Kong so although I hardly ever go back to visit Hong Kong is, in a way, like my second home. It sounds straight forward enough right? I would've thought so too but the way I see it is that I'm not a resident or a local despite looking like one and holding citizenship but I not a tourist either. So, what am I here? And how am I trying to use this to excuse the fact that I haven't done much besides shop? Basically, I think the reason I decided to stop in Hong Kong in the first place was to visit relatives that I haven't seen in a good few years, renew my Hong Kong ID and see the skyline and fit in some shopping. At this stage of my life there isn't any sights or touristy activities that i havent seen or done in the past that I particularly wanna see or do again, sure I may not remember it well but enough to know that I don't want to go again this time round. So yup that's my excuse for shopping all day everyday. 
As for what do I consider myself here? It's strange, I look like a local, I almost speak like a local (I've got a slight accent when i speak chinese) I'm treated like a local (people probably think I'm retarded though cause I can't read Chinese and end up having to ask silly questions  even though the answer to my question is clearly written right in front of me hahaha) yet I pretty much view Hong Kong or at the bits I do see, the really tall buildings, the masses of people, the massive shopping malls just to name a few, through the eyes of a tourist. I don't know if you get what I'm trying to say or where I'm coming from but yea. 

Hm... yup that's me for the time being. I think I'm going to The Peak next week, so I'll hopefully blog again then, hopefully with some photos :D 

Til next time
Flo :] 

No comments:

Post a Comment